This building was, from 1841-1972, St John's Infant School. It is thought that the architect was William Ranger, the same architect as the church (which was completed in 1841), who incorporated ecclesiastical features such as high roofs and narrow windows into the design. The original building fronted onto Church Row, and an extension towards St John's Street was added in 1875, this being another classroom. A plaque dated 1875 can be seen on the then outside wall of the west end, which is now inside a later 1899 addition, in the current Just Traid shop.
In 1883 another classroom was built with a porch entrance from St John's Street, and the toilets added in 1894. A final classroom was added in 1899. All these changes can be traced in the building by changes in the brickwork, straight joints and the use of different corbel table decoration below the roof lines on the outsideThe links between St John's Church and its Infant School were very close. The whole school attended church on festivals such as Ash Wednesday and most pupils attended Sunday school. The area of the school building allowed for 305 pupils in 1896 - between 1894 and 1924 the numbers of pupils fluctuates between 221 and 314. From the early 50's the future survival of the school was in question, and, following the opening of a new infant school in the town, pupils had declined to 67 in 1965. As the days of 'Comprehensive Education' became a reality, the days of St John's, which had included a babies room, were numbered; with the schools reorganisation in September 1972 resulting in infant schools being abolished. The final day was 19th June 1972